Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards & Michigan Aviation Hall of Fame Gala
Become a Member
Subscribe to AirMail E-News
Make a Donation
Become a Volunteer
Register Group Tours
Book Air Zoo Facilities
Tigers: Tracking a Legend
The Air Zoo currently has full-time and part-time openings available. If you would like to be considered for any of the open positions listed below, please follow the instructions at the the end of each posting.
Applications are held for 90 days.
Position Title: Group and Event Sales Coordinator
Supervisor: Group and Event Sales Manager
Develop and maintain relationships with both internal and external customers, from conception to execution, ensuring events and bookings (meetings, office parties/picnics, vendor fairs, banquets, high-school events, school programs/field trips, over-night camp-ins, scout activities, weddings, reunions, family picnics, birthday parties, etc.) are coordinated and executed appropriately to meet the expectations of the customer. Generate new business and contribute toward targeted sales goals of the Group and Event Sales Department established by the department manager.
- Secure bookings for daytime and evening events and activities for internal and external clients. Ensure that all resources are available and logistics are organized appropriately according to each client s individual need. Provide excellent customer service to every customer. Greet groups and clients upon arrival. Arrange, operate, and troubleshoot Air Zoo technology, A/V equipment, and wireless internet system for clients. Ensure all of the client s needs and expectations are being met during their event.
- Solicit, schedule, and coordinate FAM tours for potential clients. Ensure appropriate resources, promotional literature, and support staff/volunteers are available and in place for each FAM tour.
- Ensure and maintain proficiency in, and follow procedures and policies for, preparing contracts, collecting deposits, processing billing, daily cash-out activities, and use of museum resources. Provide support and guidance to team members and support staff/volunteers that enable them to perform their functions appropriately and within established procedures.
- Complete training and maintain proficiency in Tessitura Software and associated products used by the Air Zoo. Ensure timely entries, transactions, and reports in the Tessitura system. Adhere to standards set forth by the Tessitura Consortium and the Air Zoo in regards to the use of Tessitura Software and products.
- Attend and represent the Air Zoo at meetings and industry expos and join/work with a focused networking group, for the purpose of growing the organization s contacts, leads, and bookings of Groups and Events.
- Coordinate with our approved list of contracted food service contractors/representatives, throughout the entire booking process, for any events requiring food service.
- Maintain a calendar of held and booked activities that provides information pertaining to the use of museum space and resources and is accessible to Group and Event Sales team members and appropriate departments.
- Collaborate with the Group and Events Sales Manager to recruit hotels and businesses to participate in the corporate Voucher Program; design, print and deliver vouchers to client; track redemptions; and coordinate billing with Finance Department.
- Complete training and maintain proficiency in all tasks associated with the Floor Manager position. Serve as Floor Manager during evening bookings and as needed. Assist Air Zoo Floor Managers as needed.
- Maintain awareness of Group and Event Sales industry best-practices and TAMS/TIPS certifications; knowledge of Michigan codes and laws/rules governing the Air Zoo s Liquor License; and knowledge of Air Zoo policies and procedures governing events and food service. Ensure all laws, certifications, policies, and procedures are adhered to.
- Work collaboratively with the Air Zoo s Education Department, Volunteer Coordinator, Finance Department, Marketing Department, caterers, and vendors to ensure the seamless delivery of services and appropriate resources are available for all customers, internal and external.
- Maintain a flexible daily/weekly schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned by, and reviewed with, supervisor.
Minimum Education / Experience Required:
- Minimum of Associates degree. Bachelor s degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in sales and/or event planning/scheduling or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills: inevitably, something will go wrong at an event. Being able to quickly solve the issue is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Excellent administrative, organization, and leadership skills. Ability to foster effective working relationships at all levels.
- Superior customer service delivery.
- Ability to remain calm during crisis and the high pressure of an event in progress.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively and positively with supervisor, staff, interns, volunteers, partners, vendors, clients, and guests
- Flexible, with the ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to effectively manage time, organize work, and coordinate scheduled activities for self and with team members. Work is fast-paced with a multiplicity of detail.
- Ability to multi-task and work in an environment where interruptions are common
- Ability to professionally handle stress and conflict and effectively solve problems
- Professional and punctual.
- Maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to work with a wide diversity of individuals
- Ability to operate standard office equipment
- Proficiency in general computer and office software (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Well-groomed and professional appearance, in compliance with the Museum s dress and personal appearance policies
- Physically mobile with reasonable accommodations including the ability to push, pull, carry and lift up to and exceeding 25 lbs., and the ability to push, pull, reach, bend, twist, stoop, stack, crouch, kneel and balance when performing job duties in varying work areas including confined spaces. Ability to sit, stand, walk or climb stairs/ladders for an extended period of time
- General office equipment and tablets
- Network-based computer system
- Cash register and credit card readers, including the use of Square
- Rides and experiences
- Audio Visual Equipment
- Public Address and Sound Systems
- Credit Card Reader for Tablet ( Square )
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Changes and modifications may be made to this job description as deemed necessary by Air Zoo management.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Careers@airzoo.org or mail to, or drop off at the Air Zoo, 6151 Portage Rd, Portage, MI 49002, ATTN: Human Resources
Position Title: Ride Operator
Supervisor: Customer Service Manager
Status: Part-time; non-exempt
The Ride Operator position has direct contact with our guests and sets the stage and atmosphere for the visit to the Air Zoo. They are responsible for safely operating all of the Air Zoo s rides & attractions, as well as demonstrating educational science-related activities, to ensure that our guests have the best possible experience during their visit. Safety, guest experience, professionalism, and the desire to engage the public in an entertaining and educational environment are the top priorities. This is a part-time position.
Applications for this position can be downloaded HERE,or obtained at the Air Zoo's ticketing counter during normal business hours. Please drop off completed applications at the Air Zoo's ticket desk.
- Collections Assistant (Intern) - Acquires, prepares and catalogs new materials and artifacts. Maintains database of collection contents/artifacts, and oversees the storage and handling of the collection.
- Events Specialist (Intern) - Assists Events team with: event planning, meetings and phone calls with customers, data entry of event information, set up for special events.
- Aircraft Restoration and Maintenance Intern: Ensures that museum aircraft remain in top condition for the public's enjoyment. Participates in aircraft restoration and maintenance activities.
For more information, contact Tamra Stafford via email by clicking HERE, or by phone via 269.350.2815.
We are always looking for volunteers! If you'd like to volunteer for the Air Zoo, please check out our volunteer page.