Take Me Home Huey Exhibit
Become a Member
Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards & Michigan Aviation Hall of Fame Gala
Subscribe to AirMail E-News
Make a Donation
Become a Volunteer
Register Group Tours
Book Air Zoo Facilities
Tigers: Tracking a Legend
The Air Zoo currently has full-time and part-time openings available. If you would like to be considered for any of the open positions listed below, please follow the instructions at the the end of each posting. The Air Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications are held for 90 days.
Position Title: Human Resources Associate
Supervisor:Director of Finance and Human Resources
Under the general supervision of the Director of Finance and Human Resources, the Human Resources Associate performs a variety of technical and para-professional duties. Maintains payroll and benefit record requirements for accounting of salary, benefits, accruals, and deductions; processes and maintains employee files, payroll, benefits, and Air Zoo Board information/materials with the highest level of confidentiality and careful attention to detail; and encourages positive employee morale throughout the workplace.
Status: Part-time; average approximately 20 hours/week; flexible scheduling
Work with the Director and department managers to prepare and post job vacancies as appropriate.
- Process and review employment applications, evaluating qualifications and/or eligibility of applicants and making appropriate recommendations on future candidacy.
- Schedule and conduct screening interviews with candidates as necessary.
- Perform tasks critical to on-boarding new employees, including reviewing the employee manual; explaining policies and benefits to new employees; ensuring appropriate records are set up in payroll, and requesting appropriate access to Air Zoo building areas and network.
- Create new employee files and maintain all personnel and payroll files/records, to include addition of the employee into the payroll system.
- Review benefit enrollment forms for accuracy and coordinate enrollment and other processing requirements with third-party administrators in a timely and efficient manner.
- Administer various employee benefit programs, such as group, life, medical and dental insurance; 403(B) plans; and flexible spending accounts.
- Verify the calculation of the monthly premiums statements for all group insurance policies and maintain statistical data relative to premiums, claims, and costs. Resolve administrative issues with the carrier representatives.
- Maintain employee handbook. Make appropriate update recommendations and integrate them into the manual.
- Process bi-weekly payroll timely and accurately, including distribution of payroll checks.
- Ensures timely production and distribution of W-2s.
- Work with appropriate department managers to schedule and document safety and first aid training as necessary.
- Respond to employee inquiries in a timely manner regarding payroll and benefits information.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive personnel actions and performance problems; preserve documents of termination actions, organizational plans and legal actions where premature disclosure could disrupt activities within the organization.
- Work with the President/CEO to prepare and distribute information packets for Air Zoo Board members.
- Attend regular quarterly Board meetings and prepare minutes for President/CEO approval within 10 days of meeting.
- Maintain permanent records of Board minutes and related information.
- Process various ongoing requests from employees and staff for information and assistance.
Minimum Education / Experience Required
- Associates degree in Human Resource Management or related field (Bachelor s degree preferred).
- Four years of human resources and/or payroll experience.
- Broad knowledge of general Human Resources principles, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations and guidelines related to human resources and payroll.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Possess professionalism, diplomacy, teamwork and the ability to interact with a diverse population
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with staff, volunteers and public
- Possess well-developed organizational skills
- Ability to effectively solve problems
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Ability to interact in a positive and enthusiastic manner
- Demonstrate superior interpersonal skills to foster effective working relationships at all levels
- Ability to undertake multiple, concurrent tasks in an environment where interruptions are common
- Must maintain confidentiality at all appropriate times with all appropriate information
- Must be flexible with the ability to work independently and as a team member
- Must possess a well-groomed appearance in compliance with the Museum s dress and personal appearance policies
- Ability to operate general office equipment
- General office equipment
- Network-based computer system
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter (required) to email@example.com.
Position Title: Ride Operator
Supervisor: Customer Service Manager
Status: Part-time; non-exempt
The Ride Operator position has direct contact with our guests and sets the stage and atmosphere for the visit to the Air Zoo. They are responsible for safely operating all of the Air Zoo s rides & attractions, as well as demonstrating educational science-related activities, to ensure that our guests have the best possible experience during their visit. Safety, guest experience, professionalism, and the desire to engage the public in an entertaining and educational environment are the top priorities. This is a part-time position.
Applications for this position can be downloaded HERE,or obtained at the Air Zoo's ticketing counter during normal business hours. Please drop off completed applications at the Air Zoo's ticket desk.
Internship and Volunteer Opportunities
The Air Zoo has many internship and volunteer opportunities available that cover a broad range of majors and interests.
Click position title to download full description.
- Archive Intern: Assist with numbering and labeling, accessioning, refiling, and data entry.
- Curatorial Intern: Assist with aerospace research, writing, data organization, and inventory.
- Digital Assets Intern: Assist with describing and digitizing photos, and inventorying data.
- Graphic Intern: Assist with artwork creation, design layout, photo manipulation, etc.
- Photo/Video Intern: Assist with capturing and editing photos and video, asset organization, etc.
For more information, contact Tamra Stafford via email by clicking HERE, or by phone via 269.350.2815.
We are always looking for volunteers! If you'd like to volunteer for the Air Zoo, please check out our volunteer page.
The Air Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer