Tigers: Tracking a Legend
Air Zoo Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards
Subscribe to AirMail E-News
Get News & Events RSS
Register Group Tours
Book Air Zoo Facilities
Support the Air Zoo
High on Kalamazoo Balloon Festival
Become a Volunteer
The Air Zoo currently has full-time and part-time openings available. If you would like to be considered for any of the open positions listed below, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are held for 90 days.
Full Time Postions
Education Manager, Full-time
Supervisor: President and CEO
Lead all aspects of the Education function for the Air Zoo. Primary responsibilities include creating and implementing the comprehensive Education strategy for the Air Zoo; expanding and diversifying the Air Zoo's school/educator contact base throughout the region; assisting in developing and delivering the Air Zoo's educational value proposition to community stakeholders; creating and delivering hands-on educational and learning programs to guests of all ages at the Air Zoo and throughout the community; developing and leveraging key relationships/partnerships at the local, state, and national levels to ensure revenue goals are met and exceeded; and providing strategic thought and action across a broad array of Air Zoo activities, including marketing and branding, education, and exhibit floor operations.
You must be a motivated, energetic leader ready to motivate and inspire interaction using STEM-based, hands-on, engaging educational components in an energetic and passionate manner. This is a great opportunity for a self-driven, high-energy person to grow a very unique and exciting organization. Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Oversees all of the Education activities of the Air Zoo;
- Develops, implements, and manages the Air Zoo's Education plan, and ensures that all Education activities are aligned to the goals and objectives of the plan as well as the Air Zoo's overall strategic plan;
- Develops and tracks the Education Department's annual budget in partnership with the Air Zoo's CEO and Director of Finance;
- Supervises all employees within the Education Department. Supervision activities include regular performance reviews, monitoring hours worked/time off, training and scheduling all staff and volunteers, ensuring success in all activities/duties performed, and always maximizing individual and team effectiveness; Cultivates and fosters relationships with school administrators and educators from throughout the region (Michigan, Indiana, Illinois); Leads the development, implementation, and delivery of public education programs at the Air Zoo and in community, including but not limited to:
o Summer Camps
o Scout Programs
o School Field Trip Experiences
o Community Outreach Programs
o Public Workshops and Science Shows
- Ensures alignment of all educational activities with state and other accepted standards in science, math, and history;
- Verifies programs meet specific school requirements, target a specific partner's need, and/or allow open and effective access to the general public;
- Develops and executes program evaluations for all educational activities, ensuring relevance of program content, impact on audiences, effective delivery, and cost efficiency;
- Formulates and delivers an education needs assessment, designed to ensure that the Air Zoo's educational offerings are consistently meeting and exceeding the needs of our community;
- Fosters strong working relationships with other educational organizations, non-profits, and employers within the Air Zoo's service area;
- Assists with/leads (as appropriate) the execution of special events such as the Science Innovation Hall of Fame and the Corporate Engineering Challenge;
- Oversees the quality and effectiveness of the KRESA Education For Employment Aviation Technology program, assisting the instructor with budget, curriculum, and student concerns;
- Works with the Marketing Manager to design, develop, and deliver marketing assets for all educational activities;
- Works with Exhibit staff to execute an effective educational component for all exhibits within the Air Zoo;
- Works with Advancement staff to provide all relevant information/support for all development activities, including grant proposals, sponsorship requests, and other funding requests. Additionally, ensures that, for all educational components linked to that request, expectations are met efficiently and effectively on every funded project;
- Works with the Guest Experience team to ensure effective processes for all educational activities from initial reservations through program execution and follow-up;
- Identifies opportunities for new programs, new funding streams, new partners, and new guests throughout the community;
- Attends all appropriate internal staff meetings;
- Ensures communications to Air Zoo staff and volunteers regarding all educational programs is always targeted, timely, and effective;
- Represents the Air Zoo in the media regarding educational programs, including delivering fun, hands-on activities on television to a broad audience;
- Remains current on latest effective trends in hands-on, inquiry based STEM education through external peer relationships, professional societies, secondary research, and/or conferences;
- Works with an internal/external Education Committee, soliciting ideas from the Committee on all facets of hands-on, inquiry-based education and recruiting help in executing those ideas; and
- Provides a remarkable experience for every guest of the Air Zoo with every action and every interaction.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience successfully developing and delivering education programs.
- Experience working with Senior-level executives within an organization.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with the ability to engage, inspire, and influence a broad array of community leaders.
- Inspiring, motivating, "can do" attitude with a passion for positively impacting community through hands-on, inquiry-based education.
- Driving work ethic with consistently high level of initiative in all work to be performed.
- Demonstrated ability to build and nurture partnerships to the benefit of all stakeholders.
- Strong working knowledge of database applications and accompanying computer skills.
- Ability to think strategically and seamlessly turn strategy into action.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and educate diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability in designing and delivering original STEM-education programs that align with Department of Education requirements.
- Experience working with children.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEAM-related field or Education preferred. Understanding of nonprofit environment, particularly with an education focus, is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to work a flexible schedule of evenings, weekends, and overnights as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with staff, volunteers and public.
- Ability to effectively solve problems.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to interact with the public in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
- Superior interpersonal skills to foster effective working relationships at all levels.
- Full understanding of customer service philosophy and procedures.
- Ability to engage visitors with entertaining and intriguing programs.
- Must have strong organizational skills.
- Ability to undertake multiple concurrent tasks and work in an environment where interruptions are common.
- Must have superior presentation skills for all audiences.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
- Position requires limited local and regional travel.
- Must be able to lift and move heavy containers and boxes.
- Must be able to reach overhead.
- Must be flexible with the ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Well groomed appearance and compliance with the dress and personal appearance policies.
- Professional work and punctuality habits.
- Ability to work with a widely diverse group of individuals.
- Demonstrate experience coordinating community resources.
- Expert working knowledge of MS Office and database programs.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and the ability to meet minimum driving requirements.
Aviation Exploration Instructor - POSITION FILLED.
Thank you for your interest, please continue to check this page for additional opportunities.
Part-time Ride Operators needed immediately
Applicants MUST be able to work weekends and MUST be at least 18 years of age. All qualified candidates MUST pass a drug test.
Experience working with the public preferred but not required.
Public Programming Staff
Assist with Overnight Programs, Birthday Parties,and various Air Zoo events,
MUST be available to work most weekends
Experience working with children a plus
Please check back for future job openings.
- Collections Assistant (Intern) - Acquires, prepares and catalogs new materials and artifacts. Maintains database of collection contents/artifacts, and oversees the storage and handling of the collection.
- Events Specialist (Intern) - Assists Events team with: event planning, meetings and phone calls with customers, data entry of event information, set up for special events.
- Aircraft Restoration and Maintenance Intern: Ensures that museum aircraft remain in top condition for the public's enjoyment. Participates in aircraft restoration and maintenance activities.
For more information, contact Tamra Stafford via email by clicking HERE, or by phone via 269.350.2815.
We are always looking for volunteers! If you'd like to volunteer for the Air Zoo, please check out our volunteer page.