Winter Break Family Fun Days!
Hours and Admission Info
Become a Member
Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards & Michigan Aviation Hall of Fame Gala
Biplane Rides (June-September)
Subscribe to AirMail E-News
Support the Air Zoo!
Become a Volunteer
Register Group Tours
Book Air Zoo Facilities
Tigers: Tracking a Legend
The Air Zoo currently has full-time and part-time openings available. If you would like to be considered for any of the open positions listed below, please follow the instructions at the the end of each posting. The Air Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications are held for 90 days.
Position Title: Director of Finance and Human Resources
The Director of Finance and Human Resources will play a critical role as part of the leadership team in decision-making and operations to help the Air Zoo continue to enhance its quality programming and community involvement. The crucial functions of this hands-on and participative manager are to lead and develop an internal team supporting finance, business planning, budgeting and human resources, leading all aspects of the Finance and Human Resources functions for the Air Zoo and the Air Zoo Legacy Foundation.
- Manage the accounting functions, daily financial operating procedures and human resource functions. Supervise and direct the Accounting and Human Resources Associates.
- Implement and conform to all standard accounting procedures as recommended by the independent accounting firm contracted by the Air Zoo.
- Recommend and implement financial operating procedures as necessitated by new or changing operational activities (e.g., programs, events and/or ticket sales, cash controls, etc.), coordinating with Department Managers and consulting with the independent accounting firm contracted by the Air Zoo.
- Establish and maintain operating and capital budgets in conjunction with the President/CEO, Directors and department managers. Ensure requested expenditures are within budgeted guidelines, obtaining Director approval before issuing purchase orders and/or payments as requested.
- Maintain revenues and expenses by fund on a monthly and year-to-date basis using fund accounting principles to segregate activities of the Air Zoo and Air Zoo Legacy Foundation as required by restricted contributions, allocating to appropriate programs.
- Prepare and record accounting entries for the Air Zoo and Air Zoo Legacy Foundation in the financial system in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare financial statements and Board reports for the Air Zoo and Air Zoo Legacy Foundation.
- Manage payroll functions, reviewing payroll output for accuracy and monitoring tax deposits.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, preparing all worksheets for the audit and tax return preparation and providing staff assistance to the independent auditor and any other fiscal monitoring and compliance activities.
- Manage and maintain the internal computerized accounting system and chart of accounts.
- Prepare tax deposits and reporting in compliance with Federal, State and local agencies.
- Monitor cash flow requirements; prepare monthly and other funding requests from the Foundation; and process Line of Credit activity as appropriate with the approval of the President & CEO.
- Prepare all government and agency reporting as required, which may include Quarterly Services Survey, Employment Statistics Data for the BLS, Annual Non-Profit Filing for the State of Michigan, Certificate of Assumed Name, Data Match Collection information, and others as necessary.
- Prepare and file Michigan Sales & Use Tax, annual 1096/1099 and IRS form 720 reporting.
- Serve as Plan Administrator for the Company 403b plan and file the Form 5500.
- Lead, facilitate and participate in the tracks of work/objectives in the Strategic Plan as they relate to Finance and Human Resources.
- Develop, recommend, and implement personnel policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with labor laws.
- Manage the Human Resources functions to include employee recruiting, on-boarding and training, benefit management and administration, records management and employee relations.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- At least 7 - 10 years professional experience in accounting, finance and financial reporting.
- Understanding of and experience with non-profit fund accounting theory and processes.
- Bachelor s degree in Finance or Accounting.
- Experience managing and maintaining a computerized financial accounting software. Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge a plus.
- In-depth knowledge and demonstrated understanding of labor law and HR best practices, to include employee relations and recruiting.
- At least 4 years managing staff of one or more employees.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills that support and enable sound decision-making.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Driving work ethic with consistently high level of initiative in all work to be performed.
- Strong working knowledge of database applications and accompanying computer skills.
- Ability to think strategically and seamlessly turn strategy into action.
- Desire to drive a positive, productive, and engaging culture.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with staff, volunteers and public.
- Superior interpersonal skills to foster effective working relationships at all levels.
- Ability to work with a widely diverse group of individuals.
- Expert working knowledge of MS Office and database programs.
- Excellent organization skills and follow-through with the ability to multi-task, prioritize work and create goals.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Director of Finance and Human Resources as the subject line.
Position Title: Ride Operator
Supervisor: Customer Service Manager
Status: Part-time; non-exempt
The Ride Operator position has direct contact with our guests and sets the stage and atmosphere for the visit to the Air Zoo. They are responsible for safely operating all of the Air Zoo s rides & attractions, as well as demonstrating educational science-related activities, to ensure that our guests have the best possible experience during their visit. Safety, guest experience, professionalism, and the desire to engage the public in an entertaining and educational environment are the top priorities. This is a part-time position.
Applications for this position can be downloaded HERE,or obtained at the Air Zoo's ticketing counter during normal business hours. Please drop off completed applications at the Air Zoo's ticket desk.
Internship and Volunteer Opportunities
The Air Zoo has many internship and volunteer opportunities available that cover a broad range of majors and interests.
Click position title to download full description.
- Archive Intern: Assist with numbering and labeling, accessioning, refiling, and data entry.
- Curatorial Intern: Assist with aerospace research, writing, data organization, and inventory.
- Digital Assets Intern: Assist with describing and digitizing photos, and inventorying data.
- Graphic Intern: Assist with artwork creation, design layout, photo manipulation, etc.
- Photo/Video Intern: Assist with capturing and editing photos and video, asset organization, etc.
For more information, contact Tamra Stafford via email by clicking HERE, or by phone via 269.350.2815.
We are always looking for volunteers! If you'd like to volunteer for the Air Zoo, please check out our volunteer page.
The Air Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer