Summer Break Camps!
Hours and Admission Info
Become a Member
Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards & Michigan Aviation Hall of Fame Gala
Biplane Rides (June-September)
Subscribe to AirMail E-News
Support the Air Zoo!
Become a Volunteer
Register Group Tours
Book Air Zoo Facilities
Tigers: Tracking a Legend
The Air Zoo currently has full-time and part-time openings available. If you would like to be considered for any of the open positions listed below, please follow the instructions at the the end of each posting. The Air Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications are held for 90 days.
Full Time Positions
Position Title: Graphic Design & Marketing Specialist
Supervisor: Marketing & Communications Manager
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Exciting projects, great benefits, a fantastic work environment, and the opportunity to contribute towards the rapid growth of a Smithsonian affiliated organization! If you're a creative, fun, and extremely passionate graphic design & marketing superstar (either a current pro, or a budding one), we should talk. Low energy need not apply. Based in Portage, MI, the Air Zoo is one of the nation's premier aviation and science museums. With over 100 unique and historical aircraft/spacecraft on display, amazing interactive exhibits, and a world class education team, the Air Zoo is rapidly evolving and has shown tremendous growth over the last four years. We re looking to immediately expand our Marketing team with the addition of an exceptional Graphic Design & Marketing Specialist. This is a great opportunity for the right individual to gain valuable design and marketing experience on a national scale! If you think you have what it takes, respond to this listing with your resume, examples of your design & marketing prowess, and a GOOD cover letter telling us what makes you a current or potential superstar. Market yourself! Applications with canned, boring cover letters will not be considered.
Assist with all aspects of Air Zoo marketing functions and activities with an emphasis on graphic design, multimedia production, copywriting, and online campaign execution. Primary responsibilities include utilizing the Adobe Creative Suite and advanced copywriting skills in the creation and implementation of dynamic and creative marketing collateral across a variety of platforms; assisting with the development and execution of the Air Zoo s marketing and strategic plans; enabling the attainment of revenue/attendance goals; working closely to align the external marketing message with the guest experience; assisting in development and delivery of the Air Zoo s value proposition to community stakeholders; and creative contribution towards conceptual and concrete business development activities and events for both internal and external clients.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the Marketing & Communications Manager in the development of the Air Zoo's cross-departmental marketing, branding, communications, and public relations activities;
- Producing a wide spectrum of digital and print marketing collateral utilizing full Adobe Creative Suite (including but not limited to: printed publications, flyers, exhibit materials, billboards, etc.)
- Creative contribution to a variety of marketing campaigns, including: print, web, video, and email;
- Writing persuasive marketing and fundraising copy for a variety of platforms;
- Executing market research utilizing analytics and business intelligence strategies;
- Tracking of marketing campaigns using various platforms, including Google Analytics;
- Ensuring all marketing activities are aligned to the goals and objectives of the annual marketing plan and the Air Zoo's overall strategic plan;
- Supporting various Air Zoo departments in the creation of signage, campaigns, flyers, and other marketing projects;
- Assisting Air Zoo Leadership Team to cultivate and foster relationships with all current and potential corporate, foundation, and individual donors;
- Overseeing diverse design and campaign projects as determined by the Air Zoo s Marketing Manager.
Education, Experience, and Ability Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing or equivalent. Current students may be considered.
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience or study in marketing.
- Strong graphic design experience with advanced knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite focused on InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere.
- Experience in social media and internet marketing.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with the ability to engage, inspire, and influence.
- Demonstrated ability in copywriting, business writing, editing and production of marketing materials.
- Expert working knowledge of MS Office and database programs.
- Inspiring, motivating, can do attitude with a passion for positively impacting community through education.
- Driving work ethic with consistently high level of initiative in all work to be performed.
- Demonstrated ability to build and nurture partnerships to the benefit of all stakeholders.
- Strong working knowledge of database applications and accompanying computer skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sales and marketing fundamentals.
- Experience in developing and coordinating direct mail programs.
- Ability to effectively solve problems.
- Ability to maintain fast-paced work environment and handle stressful situations.
- Ability to interact with the public in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
- Superior interpersonal skills to foster effective working relationships at all levels.
- Full understanding of customer service philosophy and procedures of the Air Zoo.
- Must have strong organizational skills.
- Ability to undertake multiple concurrent tasks and work in an environment where interruptions are common.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
- Position requires limited local and regional travel.
- Must be able to lift and move heavy containers and boxes (display booth, trade show and print materials).
- Must be able to reach overhead.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule of evenings and weekends on occasion.
- Must be flexible with the ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Well groomed appearance and compliance with the dress and personal appearance policies.
- Professional work and punctuality habits.
- Ability to work with a widely diverse group of individuals.
- Demonstrate experience coordinating community resources.
- Possession of a valid driver s license and the ability to meet minimum driving requirements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Position Title: Part-Time Science Educator
Supervisor: Education Manager
Status: Part-time; non-exempt
The part-time educator is responsible for delivering exciting, high-quality educational programs to schools, families, and adult groups. This position offers a unique opportunity to practice a wide range of skills; lead innovative, interdisciplinary activities; and connect people of all ages to the STEAM disciplines while delivering educational programs for the Air Zoo. The educator is an energetic, dependable individual who likes working with people and inspiring others to learn about science and is instrumental in strengthening visitors awareness and appreciation of the Air Zoo. Good public speaking, organizational, and customer service skills required. This is a part-time, hourly, non-exempt position. Scheduling is flexible with select weekdays, evening, overnight, and weekend work required.
- Deliver educational programs including school, after-school and outreach programs, summer and holiday camps for families and children, camp-in overnight programs, birthday parties, special event programs and scout badge programs.
- Learn the activity you will be teaching and be able to answer questions about the topic (training provided)
- Set-up classroom and teach educational activities
- Maintain control of the classroom and students
- Actively engage the audience
- Follow the established schedule for the daily events
- Clean classrooms after each program (put away supplies, wash equipment and tables, sweep floors if needed)
- Must be able to carry totes with materials (up to 40 pounds) from place to place
- Deliver exhibit floor education and participate in program development and evaluation as required
- Participate in educational and promotional outreach events
- Make safety a priority
- High School Graduate or Equivalent. Some college-level education preferred with an emphasis in Education or Science-related field. Certification and experience teaching in classroom or informal museum settings required.
- Creative, motivated, and enthusiastic; excellent public presentation skills
- Reliable and punctual; able to multi-task and manage time effectively
- Able to work independently and as part of a close team
- Excellent verbal and writing skills; strong organizational skills
- Willingness to travel to offsite locations
- Computer proficient (Microsoft Office and Outlook)
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Title: Guest Experience Ambassador
Supervisor: Customer Service Manager
Status: Part-time; non-exempt
The Guest Experience Ambassador (GEA) position has direct contact with our Guests. They set the stage and atmosphere for our Guests visits. Point of Sale GEA staff process admission tickets and membership sales, answer phones, work in retail, and assist our Guests. Ride Operator GEA staff are responsible for safely operating all of the Air Zoo attractions while ensuring our Guests have the best experience possible during their visit. Safety, customer service, professionalism and accuracy are the priority.
Applications for this position can be downloaded HERE,or obtained at the Air Zoo's ticketing counter during normal business hours. Please drop off completed applications at the Air Zoo's ticket desk.
Internship and Volunteer Opportunities
The Air Zoo has many internship and volunteer opportunities available that cover a broad range of majors and interests.
Click position title to download full description.
- Archive Intern: Assist with numbering and labeling, accessioning, refiling, and data entry.
- Curatorial Intern: Assist with aerospace research, writing, data organization, and inventory.
- Digital Assets Intern: Assist with describing and digitizing photos, and inventorying data.
- Graphic Intern: Assist with artwork creation, design layout, photo manipulation, etc.
- Photo/Video Intern: Assist with capturing and editing photos and video, asset organization, etc.
For more information, contact Tamra Stafford via email by clicking HERE, or by phone via 269.350.2815.
We are always looking for volunteers! If you'd like to volunteer for the Air Zoo, please check out our volunteer page.
The Air Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer