Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards & Michigan Aviation Hall of Fame Gala
Become a Member
Subscribe to AirMail E-News
Make a Donation
Become a Volunteer
Register Group Tours
Book Air Zoo Facilities
Tigers: Tracking a Legend
Located near Kalamazoo in West Michigan, the Air Zoo is one of the nation's premier aerospace and science centers and we're always on the look out for great volunteers! The Air Zoo offers a variety of volunteer positions, most of which require little, or no, experience.
Some of the incentives for volunteering include:
- Free admission for volunteer and immediate family
- Discount in gift shop
- Discount at Kitty Hawk Cafe on day of volunteering
- Monthly newsletter
- Monthly communications meeting
- Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards Gala Volunteers - The Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards Gala is an elegant and festive evening at the Air Zoo that supports STEAM education and honors the remarkable achievements of Michigan's finest educators, high school students, and aviation & space pioneers. Help us make this special event unforgettable!
- Heroes Day Event Volunteers - "Heroes Day" at the Air Zoo is a public event that celebrates the heroes in our community. This fun and festive day includes a wide variety of indoor and outdoor performances, activities, and exhibits. Occurs in late September, volunteer opportunities may include event planning, and general onsite help and set-up the day of.
- Educational Days - The Air Zoo's Educational Days inspire kids of all ages through interactive experiences, hands-on activities, and much, much more. Usually occurring on weekends, these special days focus on rotating aerospace and science themes and include a wide variety of activities. Help us make these experiences unforgettable!
- Summer Camp Assistant - Help to motivate and inspire young minds at the Air Zoo's amazing summer science camps! Assist the Air Zoo's summer camp Educators with camp activities and other tasks during one or more of our science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics (STEAM) based programs. We ll help you to select a camp that best fits your interests and provide you with all necessary training. Please be at least 16 years old, responsible, good with children, enthusiastic, and ready to have fun!.
- Fly Buy Demo Volunteer - Demonstrate exciting new toys for our customers in the Fly Buy museum store. If the idea of days spent playing with flying gadgets, building sets, and other science and aerospace themed toys makes you smile, this is definitely the opportunity for you!
- Exhibits Helper - Make history! Help the Air Zoo create new exhibits and maintain existing installations. If you have a knack for research, artistic pursuits, making things with your hands, or similar skills, this may be your dream volunteering opportunity.
- Docents - Volunteers in this area serve as the Air Zoo's teachers and tour guides, and have the opportunity to inspire Air Zoo guests on a daily basis! The Air Zoo's Docent Training course ensures you will have everything you need to educate guests about the Museum's collection of aircraft, spacecraft, and artifacts.
- Greeter - Be the Air Zoo's first point of contact with our guests and set the tone for fun! Volunteers will greet customers and give general information about the Air Zoo.
- Reception Desk/Greeter (East Campus) - Greet guests at our East Campus, which houses the Air Zoo's Restoration Center and an amazing collection of aircraft.
- Data Entry - Volunteers will perform data entry within various departments. Data entry and good computer skills are necessary.
- Aircraft Restoration and Maintenance Volunteer - Get "hands-on" with one of the most amazing collections of aircraft and spacecraft in the world! Volunteers ensure the Air Zoo's aircraft, spacecraft, and exhibits remain in top condition for the public to enjoy.
- Tiger Exhibit - Take a walk on the wild side with the Air Zoo's exciting exhibit, TIGERS: Tracking a Legend. Volunteers take tickets and greet customers.
- Building and Grounds Maintenance: These important volunteers help with building and ground maintenance, which may include repair duties, cleaning, pulling weeds, painting, and other necessary tasks to keep the Air Zoo in tip-top shape.
The Air Zoo offers a variety of volunteer positions, most of which require little or no experience, with varying time commitments. The following is a brief description of the available positions and the requirements for each. Training will be provided for each volunteer opportunity. The volunteer opportunities will change monthly, based on the needs of the Air Zoo.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Event Volunteers (1-3 Day Events)
Seasonal (1-16 week opportunities)
Ongoing (Year Round Opportunities)
If you are interested in any of these job opportunities, please download and fill out our volunteer application packet by clicking HERE. Drop off or mail your completed packet to the Air Zoo, Attn: Volunteer Manager, 6151 Portage Rd, Portage, MI, 49002. For questions about volunteering at the Air Zoo, email our Volunteer Department by clicking HERE, or call 269.350.2815. We look forward to hearing from you!