Wright Flyer (replica)
Did You Know?
- The Wright Flyer was the first successful airplane ever built.
- It was designed and built by brothers Orville and Wilbur Wright.
- On December 17, 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, the Wright Flyer became the first powered, heavier-than-air machine to achieve controlled, sustained flight with a pilot aboard.
- With Orville as the pilot, it took off from a launching rail and flew for 12 seconds, with a distance of 120 feet.
- The original Wright Flyer was constructed of spruce and ash, covered with muslin. It is on display at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.