Free Educator Preview Night Oct. 13
Become a Member
Science Innovation Hall of Fame Awards & Michigan Aviation Hall of Fame Gala
Biplane Rides (June-September)
Subscribe to AirMail E-News
Make a Donation
Become a Volunteer
Register Group Tours
Book Air Zoo Facilities
Tigers: Tracking a Legend
On loan from the estate of Marion Weyant “Babe” Ruth
Did You Know?
- Laister-Kauffmann built the TG-4A in response to an urgent U.S. Army Air Forces requirement for a glider to train assault glider pilots.
- The TG-4A was a military version of the Laister-Kauffmann Model LK-10 Yankee Doodle glider.
- Laister-Kauffmann delivered the first prototype XTG-4 in late December 1941; the company delivered the first production aircraft in July 1942 and completed the last of 150 TG-4As in June 1943.
- The fuselage of the TG-4A is made of fabric-covered welded steel tubing while the tail is made of fabric-covered wood.
- The internal wing structure is wood with the forward one-third of the leading edge covered by plywood and the remainder covered with fabric.
- The TG-4A was not an ideal trainer because its flying qualities were very different from cargo gliders. While the TG-4A could soar, cargo gliders could only descend with a small margin for error, especially when fully loaded.