Quick Facts

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Our Famous Pink Plane!

Era: WWII

Part of the Air Zoo Collection
Location: Flight Innovation Center – Hanging in the Suzanne D. Parish Atrium


Known for its ruggedness, the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk served as one of the WWII era's most prevalent and formidable fighters.
The single-engine fighter aircraft first took to the sky in 1938. The P-40 engaged Japanese aircraft during the attack on Pearl Harbor and invasion of the Philippines. The Flying Tigers flew P-40s in China's defense. The Tuskegee Airmen's 99th fighter squadron flew P-40s cast off by other units. The British and Soviet air force also flew P-40 variants through a lend-lease program.

The Air Zoo's P-40

Our P-40N-35 belonged to Air Zoo co-founder, Sue Parish. She bought it in pieces and had it restored in Califonia. The Flying Tigers' shark teeth paint scheme is dolled up with lipstick and eyelashes. The eyes are modeled after Sue's. She had a pink Naugahyde cockpit makeup bag custom made to match her plane! Sue proudly flew her P-40 at air shows nationwide. In 2003, Sue's P-40 was suspended in the new Air Zoo's atrium on permanent display.

In the Pink

The P-40s flown by the 57th Fighter Group were painted Sand 26. After sun exposure in the North African desert, the pink pigment became dominant. The 57th flew P-40s over North Africa and Italy from 1942 - 1943.

Blue Base

Azure blue was the standard underside color for airfract stationed in North Africa.